Sunday, October 23, 2011

Goodwill Hutch Transformation

So, I found this hutch/bookshelf/not quite sure what it is piece at a nearby Goodwill store for $9.99. Well, for that price, it's totally worth trying to fix into something cute, because if it doesn't work out quite right, you're still not out a whole lot of money.
Good deal, no?
Cute piece - could be used for lots of things.
First step was to remove the backing to get it ready to paint & stencil.
Primed and starting the paint - the color is the same as my bedroom walls, Sweet Rhapsody by Behr.
My tools - stencils, pouncer and white pearl paint all from the Martha Stewart line at Michaels. I think I fell in love with ALL of these items! =)
About halfway done with the stencil - liking how it's turning out.
Finished - whew! Plus plenty of time spent touching up any bleeding or errors  - the mistakes were hard to see from a distance but I noticed them & they were bothering me! Haha
Time to fix up a couple cosmetic things on it - nothing a couple drops of wood glue won't fix.
I set it to dry with a clamp while I was doing the stenciling - problem solved!
After priming, I covered it with ultra white Behr paint mixed with the leftover pearl paint. On a side note - this little container on the right is fantastic! I got mine from Dollar Tree & there are measurements on the side plus a lid that allowed me to shake and store the paint in. Perfect!
Filled in a few little gaps with some DAP caulking.
Voila!
The finished product! I love it! I was planning to put it on top of the dresser I also purchased at Goodwill but once we tried it, it didn't quite look right, so for now it's on the floor of my bedroom, set up like a bookshelf. Either way, it's a cute little piece to display some things and it was a great bargain! Works for me! Till next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment